- Available Money - 7/10
- Application Clarity - 6/10
- Judging Transparency - 6/10
- Max Award: $22,000
- Min Award: Varies by state
- Number of Awards: Hundreds (Across National, State, University-specific, Major-specific, and Vocational programs)
- Eligibility: High school seniors with at least a 2.0 GPA and a family income less than $55,000 per year
- Scholarship Type: Personal Background + Essay Questions
- Judging Criteria: Co-curricular Activities, Community Service, History of Overcoming Adversity
- Deadline: October, 25 2015
- Website: https://scholars.horatioalger.org/scholarships/
Here’s the inside story on the Horatio Alger Association Scholarship…
If you made it through American lit., you’ve probably at least heard of Horatio Alger. He became famous during the 2nd half of the 19th century for his ‘rags-to-riches’ tales of urban young men who rose out of poverty thanks to hard work and unflinching morality.
…Not to be confused with the only other famous Horatio, ever.
In keeping with the old-timey Horatio’s “pull-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps” ideals, The Horatio Alger Association offers hundreds of scholarships every year to high school seniors with a GPA of at least 2.0 and a family income less than $55K per year.
As one of the largest need-based college scholarship programs in the country, they gave away $10.6 million in 2015 alone. That’s a lotta cheddar.
Unlike other scholarships that focus on academic achievement, the Horatio Alger scholarship looks to reward students who’ve exhibited integrity and determination in overcoming adversity… just like the poster in the guidance counselor’s office says.
Speaking of guidance counselors…
These scholarships require them to fill out some information, so be sure to give them enough notice before the October 25th deadline. (And it wouldn’t hurt to start sucking up a little, too.)
The best part about this scholarship program is that you could potentially be eligible for several different ones (national, your state, your university, your major, etc.), but you only need to apply ONCE to be considered for all of them!